Compassionate Mental Health Conference (2 days)
Time: 9.00 am - 5.30 pm
Venue: Canada Lodge and Lake, Heol Pant-y-Gored,Creigiau, Cardiff, CF15 9NF
Building Compassionate Communities
Compassionate Approaches to Mental Health is a two day experiential event designed to inform, inspire and empower people living and working with mental distress.
We’ve gathered influential speakers who are passionate about changing the script around mental health, challenging stigma and raising expectations.
Our aim is to bring together people and families with personal experience of mental health issues, front line staff, commissioners, managers, clinicians, policymakers and Third Sector staff, to discuss what works for people recovering from a mental health crisis. We’ll discuss a range of approaches that move beyond a medical model, with a special focus on Open Dialogue, mindfulness and therapeutic communities.
Building on positive feedback from our event in November 2016, we’ll go deeper into the issues we explored to ask how can we build compassionate communities in our mental health services and our own lives. And how can a mental health crisis become a meaningful turning point and catalyst for change.
Together we’ll explore emerging themes in mental health, including:
- Compassion, mindfulness and Open Dialogue
- How to exercise our inner strength to resource ourselves and others
- Finding meaning in mental distress and psychosis
- Breakdown as opportunity for breakthrough and growth
- Enabling the shift towards a more democratic approach, that focuses on the whole person and building resilience
- Building equity and understanding between people delivering mental health services and those with lived experience
- How we form authentic relationships, learn to listen deeply, and feel safe to share our difficulties
- Creating safe healing spaces in our services and communities, for people to talk about suicidal thoughts
Compassion – towards self and others – is a skill that can be learned. Our experienced teachers will guide you in some basic practices, and share their personal stories of mental distress and recovery.
Further information and booking details can be found here
We are recruiting a Medical Secretary to join our Mental Health team at Bronllys Hospital. Apply by 21 December at… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Watch our video: representatives from the farming community talk to the Big Cheeses from Powys Teaching Health Board about mental health services in the county.