Read and Remember Volunteers
What is a Read and Remember Volunteer?
A Read and Remember volunteer enables an older or disabled person or a person living with mild to moderate dementia or depression, to enjoy a weekly or fortnightly shared reading experience, either one to one in theri own home, or as part of small friendly group.
What’s in it for you?
- The pleasure of seeing isolated people benefitting from stories
- The opportunity to develop your skills at reading aloud
- The opportunity to help and meet with others in your community
- Be part of a team offering this experience, and share from each other
A Read and Remember volunteer will:
- Read aloud to adults in a one-to-one or group setting regularly, either in the person’s home or as part of a group meeting at the local library
- Encourage your partner or group to talk about the text, and explore memories and feelings evoked
- Choose suitable texts, and prepare for the session – the library staff will help you to find suitable books and materials
- Encourage your partner or group to read other books, or listen to audio books from the library
Will this role suit me?
The role will suit people who:
- Can read aloud fluently and with expression, in Welsh or English
- Enjoy meeting new people, and have the ability to engage and empathise with individuals and their families and carers, living with mild to moderate dementias and depression
- Are able to offer 1 hour a week to support an individual or group in your area (plus preparation time)
- Are patient and approachable, and sensitive to people’s emotional needs.
- Are reliable, confident and responsible, with an enthusiasm about books, libraries and literacy
- Have the ability to cope with the duties and responsibilities of the role and the associated environment, including an understanding of health and safety
- Full training will be given, with ongoing support from the local library
- An enhanced DBS check will be undertaken by Powys County Council, before you begin volunteering
- Once training is completed, you will be given a volunteer ID card
- A commitment of 6 months is required, to allow the opportunity to build a relationship with your partner or group
Reading aloud training sessions organised, as follows:
Weds 20th Feb Brecon Library 1.30 - 4.30pm
Friday 22nd Feb Newtown Library, times to be confirmed
Weds 6th March Rhayader Library 10am - 1.00pm
Friday 8th March Newtown Library, times to be confirmed
Weds 13th March Knighton Library 1.30 - 4.30pm
Weds 20th March Ystradgynlais Library 1.30 - 4.30pm
Each session is for 10-12 people,
Bookings are being taken by Trish Thomas patricia.thomas(at)powys.gov.uk