Statutory mental health services in Powys

There is further information about the provision of statutory mental health services in Powys on the Powys teaching Health Board website and also the Powys County Council website.

Getting help from services in Powys

You can access our guide to accessing help and support in Powys by visiting our webpage here.

Mental health services – adult mental health NHS management arrangements project


The Board of Powys Teaching Health Board (PTHB) approved the recommendation to directly manage a greater proportion of NHS adult mental health service staff including:

  • Local Primary Mental Health Support Services within Powys.
  • Community Mental Health Teams within Powys.
  • Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Teams within Powys.
  • Mental Health wards within Powys hospitals (for adults of all ages).
  • Associated clinical psychologists and occupational therapists.

The Project Board agreed the recommendations, approved by the Board of PTHB in February 2015, about which services should be managed within Powys and which should remain commissioned.


On 1st December 2015 PTHB successfully managed the transfer of 119 mental health staff from Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB - North Powys) and Abertawe Bro Morgannwg (ABMU - Ystradgynlais).

The final element of the transfer - South Powys Services from Aneurin Bevan University Health Board to PTHB - took place on 1 June 2017.

There is no change to client pathways.

Child & adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)

You can find further information about the services available for children and young people experiencing mental distress in Powys on the Powys teaching Health Board site here.

Veterans NHS Wales

Some Service Personnel have problems when they return to civilian life after serving in the Armed Forces. NHS Wales has set up a service where you can go and speak to someone who will understand what it's like to have been in the Armed Forces and who will be able to help you deal with psychological health problems. You can find out more on the Veterans NHS Wales website and the Powys Teaching Health Board Veterans Health page.

Download a map showing locations of Veteran NHS Wales outpatient clinics in Powys.

A guide to caring for the Armed Forces veteran community - Carers Wales

A guide to mental health referral

In north Powys there is an action group with experience of mental health issues called Light the Way. This group published a flyer in 2014 with details of the mental health referral process in that area, which gives information about what to expect when being referred to see someone in the Community Mental Health Team.  

The flyer was written by people who have been in direct contact with mental health services, staff and volunteers from Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, and Ponthafren Association. Powys County Council and Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations have supported this work.  

You can download the flyer here.

Powys People Direct - support for other needs

Powys People Direct is a single point of access run by Powys County Council for all enquiries for both adults and children’s services across the county. These services include support for people discharged from hospital, signposting to other services including the voluntary sector, and advice about residential care.

There is one phone number for social services enquiries about adults, older people, sensory impairment and learning/physical disability services as well as many others.

When calling Powys People Direct, you will be asked who you would like to speak to, or what your enquiry is about, so that you access the right support you are looking for without delay.  Call: 01597 827666. 

You can download a flyer about Powys People Direct here.

Contact us or make suggestions

Or can we help you find what you are looking for?  You can contact the Powys Mental Health Information Service on 01686 628300 or 01597 822191 or email us mentalhealth(at)

We are always developing new information for this site.  So if you have suggestions and ideas then you can provide feedback in our confidential survey here or you can contact us directly with your feedback on 01686 628 300 or 01597 822191, or email mentalhealth(at)


Latest News

Opportunities for 1 x Individual Carer and 1 x Service User Representative / Cyfleoedd i 1 x Gofalwr Unigol ac 1 x Cynrychiolydd Defnyddiwr Gwasanaeth

Opportunities for 1 x Individual Carer and 1 x Service User Representative on Mental Health Regional Planning and Development Partnership The Powys...


No news available.