Browse our list of NHS Services and support to find what you need.

Support via a GP

Your GP is usually where you will have to start if you are looking for mental health support. The GP can either offer support to you or refer you to Specialist Mental Health Services.

However, if you have previously been a patient with mental health services and have been discharged in the last three years, you have a legal right to ask mental health services to assess you. There is no need to ask your GP to make the referral for you.

Across Powys your GP has access to refer you to either a:

  • Primary Care Mental Health Service – offering information and support, counselling, short-term intervention, signposting to voluntary sector, information
  • Secondary Mental Health Service – called Community Mental Health Teams. These teams are made up of Psychiatrist, Community Psychiatric Nurses (CPNs), Support Workers and Social Workers.  They can refer you to the Psychological Therapy team.


Address: Ty Illtyd, Bridge Street, Brecon LD3 8AH
Tel: 01874 615050


Address: The Hazels, Temple Street, Llandrindod LD1 5HF
Tel: 01597 825888


Address: Fan Gorau, Llanfair Road, Newtown SY16 2DW
Tel: 01686 617300


Address: Bryntirion, Salop Road, Welshpool SY21 7DU
Tel: 01938 555076 / 01938 558969


Address: The Larches, Penrhos, Ystradgynlais SA9 1QL
Tel: 01639 849994

Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Teams

9am – 9pm 7 days a week.

These teams provide more intensive support and work out-of-hours. These teams are made up of Psychiatrists, Community Psychiatric Nurses (CPNs), Support Workers and Social Workers.

You may decide to ask for an emergency GP Appointment.
If you need to see a GP for urgent health care when your usual GP practice is not open, you can contact NHS 111 Wales by dialing 111.

North Powys

Tel: 01686 617 747

South Powys

Tel: 01874 712 658


Tel: 01639 683 212

Contact NHS 111 Wales

Provides 24-hour health information and advice, including access to out of hours GP services. NHS 111 Wales also provides useful information online via the NHS 111 Wales website.

NHS 111 option 2 – mental health support

For urgent mental health support call 111 and press Option 2. Healthcare advice you can trust 24/7.

Tel: 111 option 2

Call 101 or 999

Dependent on circumstances, if you believe that someone is in imminent danger or if you believe that police intervention will help prevent a situation escalating. The police can use the Mental Health Act to remove someone that they think is a danger to themselves or others to a place of safety.

Places of safety for Powys are Wrexham Hospital in the North, Bronllys Hospital in the Mid & South, and Neath Port Talbot in the Ystradgynlais area. It can take an average of 8.5 hours across the Dyfed-Powys area before a Mental Health Act Assessment is arranged. An assessment of this type can lead to involuntary hospital admission and involuntary psychiatric treatment.

Social Services Emergency Duty Team

You can contact this team out of hours on 0845 0544847. You can also contact them if the person does not want to seek treatment, this contact could initiate a Mental Health Act Assessment if you are worried that someone else is a risk to themselves or others through Powys Social Services. Working hours 01597 826 000 or outside of these hours 01597 825 275/0845 0544847. An assessment of this type can lead to involuntary hospital admission and involuntary psychiatric treatment.

Alternatively, you can go to the nearest Accident and Emergency department (A&E).

C.A.L.L. Helpline (Community Advice & Listening Line)

A Helpline that offers free emotional support and information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 0800 132 737 or text “help” to 81066.

To talk to someone who is trained to listen, contact the Samaritans on116 123 (free to call). They are open 24 hours a day.

Admission to Psychiatric Hospital

If beds are available, first access to:

If beds are not available people may be admitted to other hospitals across Wales.
Mental Health Services are delivered by Powys Teaching Health Board.

Powys Teaching Health Board

Dementia Care & Support

Find out more about dementia care and support in Powys on this Powys Teaching Health Board website:

Dementia Care & Support in Powys