If you are urgently looking for help and advice

…. because you are concerned about your own mental health or that of a relative or friend, there are many places you can turn to for help.

  • If you are looking for help from Mental Health Services provided by the NHS, then in most cases you will be asked to contact your GP for help first.  If you do not have your local GP contact details to hand you can access them here.
  • If you live in Wales then you can contact C.A.L.L. (Community Advice & Listening Line).  A Helpline that offers free emotional support and information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call them free on 0800 132 737 or text “help” to 81066. Visit the C.A.L.L. website here
  • NHS 111 Wales is a health advice and information service available 24 hours a day, every day. For urgent mental health support call 111 and press Option 2. Healthcare advice you can trust 24/7.

If the help you need is very urgent and you are worried about the imminent safety of yourself or others them please read on for suggestions about how you might get urgent help.

Most of this information (though the numbers are Powys related) comes from Mind, a national organisation that can provide information and advice. You can call them on 0300 123 3393 or check out their own website here.

I am having thoughts of suicide and believe that I am in immediate danger

  • To talk to someone who is trained to listen, contact the Samaritans on 116 123 (free to call).They are open 24 hours a day.
  • If you have a crisis card that you have prepared based on previous experience, get that now and contact your support people.

I have taken an overdose or I am about to seriously harm or kill myself

  • Call 999. The call is free. You can ask to stay on the line while you wait for help to arrive.
  • Alternatively you can go to the nearest Accident and Emergency department (A&E).

If you are living in Powys this link to A & E hospitals might be useful.
Or call NHS 111 Wales.

I fear that I am about to seriously harm or kill another person

Someone I know is in immediate danger of seriously harming/killing themselves or endangering someone else

  • Call 999 and ask for help.

Further information

If these situations do not describe you at the moment, other forms of help might be more appropriate. For further information, please follow the links to:

Link to Local Mental Health organisations

Link to National Mental Health organisations

Link to other local services

Link to Mind info on suicide, crisis services, panic attacks

You can also download some flyers which might help here:

Feeling on the edge

Feeling overwhelmed

U can cope